Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Belhaven

This post is going to be a little wordy, but bear with me! It is typical of what happens to us on this trip when we need some help.


On Wednesday, we left River Dunes, and headed 42 miles to a small marina at Belhaven, NC. There are only about 20 slips and the owners live in their motor home on the property.
They hitch their trailerable boat to the motor home and head to the Keys in the winter.

I started washing the salt off the boat and my roll up garden hose blew up. As I really don’t have room to store a regular hose, that roll up hose is a life saver. The marina owner pointed across the street to the Ace Hardware, and said that was about the only store in town that might have one. No luck, so I bought a cheap regular hose, as we need something to wash the boat down with, and add water to our fresh water tank.

As I was finishing up, the boater behind us, who we had been following for the past few days, stopped to chat, and noted he had seen my hose blow up. When I told him I would really miss that roll up hose, he told me about a “catch all” store he had just wandered through while riding his bicycle through town. He pointed at the medical clinic on the other side of the small bay, and said “Just walk down the street in front of the clinic, and you can’t miss it”!

So - off Pat & I went for a little walk. When we walked in, I looked around, and didn’t see anything remotely resembling a garden department. However, I did notice that if you need a new headlamp for a 1932 Packard, spark plugs for a ’68 Chevy 350,  or a tire for a ’42 John Deere Tractor, they would be happy to oblige! They probably have it!

The proprietor was just finishing up with an older gentleman who was getting some parts.

When I explained what I was looking for, he scratched his chin, thought a while, then proceeded to tell me that he was sure he didn’t have what I needed, and was really sure, because when he had finished cleaning up the 8” of water hurricane Irene deposited in his store this past spring, he didn’t remember seeing any garden hose. He then looked at me, and asked if “I was from these parts”. When I told him we were from Burnsville, MN, and traveling the Great Loop by boat, I thought he’d fall over! He pointed around his store. “A lot of this stuff I get from Northern Hydraulics in Burnsville”! I told him I was familiar with Northern Hydraulics, as they were just a few miles from us.

The older gentleman piped up, and said the farm supply store on the edge of town might have what I needed. The proprietor called them, and sure enough, they had a 50’ roll up garden hose - just what I needed. When I asked directions to the store, and found out it was 2&1/2 miles away, I said I’d have to see if our boating neighbor would let me borrow his bicycle.

Then the older gentleman piped up, and said “I could give you a ride, but I just have an old small pickup. The lady can sit in front, but you’d have to sit in the back. Pat said she’d just head back to the marina, and Ronald & I could go to the farm supply. That’s Ronald pictured above.

On our ride there and back to the marina, Ronald told me about the small horse farm he and his wife have, the big Belgian that pulls a ‘wedding carriage”, and the ponies that pull the hay wagon. When we got back to the marina, he asked if it would be all right to bring some pictures to the boat to show us.

We talked for a while, and looked at his pictures. When I walked him back up to his truck, I reached for my wallet.
Ronald insisted he would not take any money. I told him I wasn’t reaching for money, but a boat card so he could follow our blog! I told him I’d make him famous on the internet!

Pat  & I often comment to each other about how friendly and helpful the people we meet are. Everyone offers a helping hand, advice, a ride if you need it!     
They just make you feel so welcome to their little part of the world!
We ended the day with docktails in the gazebo, Pat & Marc blew the conchs at sunset, and we headed off to bed, hoping for calm seas for running the big water of the Alligator River the next day.
Captn Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment