Monday, August 22, 2011

The Admiral did admirably!

Monday, August 22, 2011

What a perfect day!  Sunny, mid 70’s, a little south wind, and we had the  river to ourselves - almost.


LaCrosse to McGregor, Iowa. About 60 miles, and locks 8 & 9.
We had passed the barge Tom Barringer for the third time, about 12 miles above lock 9.
Saw him in Red Wing when we left, passed him yesterday, and again today. We have been running about twice the barges speed, so I figured we’d be OK at 9 when I called in three miles out. The lock master said we’d be a little tight, so we put the pedal to the fiberglass and got there.  

Very pretty section of the river, lots of backwaters, bluffs, and stone outcroppings.  Pat has spotted 13 eagles so far.

Gas mileage has been good with a 3 MPH current pushing us.

We decided to stop at a small marina in MacGregor, Iowa called what else the MacGregor marina.  Well - at least it used to be called that.  We have renamed it Red Green's rickety marina.  The owner came down to help us in and I can definitely say the local gals may not find him handsome but he sure is handy.  He has managed to construct quite a menagerie.

He put us in a double wide slip on the upstream side.  It had plenty of clearance so I figured I would pull up and drift back down.  NO SUCH LUCK!  I couldn't figure out why I kept getting pulled back out on the river when I could see the current should have been helping me drift back.  With a bunch of throttle and bow thruster, I finally got docked.  Red looked at me and said, "great job!  Most people wait for the barges to go by before docking here.  That undertow just sucks you along with them.  You're one of the few who did it without crashing."

So here we are in MacGregor.Took a walk through town and stopped at the Ice Cream shop.  Pat had to hold the baby while the owner dished up the cones.  Very friendly town!  Everyone smiles and says Hi!

Oh yeah the Admiral!  Like I said it was a perfect day.  Sunny and temp just right.

We left our last night's stay at North Bay marina in LaCrosse early AM.  It is the old Beacon Bay Marina/Skipperliner plant just a mile up the Black River.  As the day was so nice we were anxious to get going and untied a little after 7 a.m.  When we hit the main channel of the Mississippi, the fog was thick as pea soup.  Pat was at the helm while I was putting away fenders and lines.  A look upstream and we saw a barge coming.  Pat didn't even wince.  She had the barge, the nuns and the cans located on the chart plotter.  Into the fog we went and in about 3 miles it was clear again.  Like we learned in out power squadron classes - run everything every time you use the boat.  That way when you need it you will understand it.  It worked for us.

Whew - I'm pooped.  My first attempt at iPhoto and iWeb.  These Macs are cool but a learning curve from a PC.  Time to put a steak on the grill!  Yummm!    Captain Ken!





No comments:

Post a Comment