Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Apalachicola!

I loved this town!  I am fascinated by these shrimp boats.  Early every morning they would pass by our boat on their way out for the day.  At the end of the day, they would all come back in with flocks of seagulls and pelicans following them hoping for a small morsel of shrimp.  They weren’t the cleanest or fanciest boats but this is how these folks earn their livelihood!  Hard working folks for sure.  Added to my bucket list is to spend a day on one of these shrimp boats.  They just fascinate me.

We spent a day and a half wandering around Apalachicola and had dinner with our friends Jan and Rusty from CBAY.  They left yesterday to go to Carabelle and wait for a Navy man who has always wanted to make the crossing! 

One of the fun stores we went into was the Holly Holy Liquor store!  What a hoot!  We picked up a bottle of wine called “Crossings” to have when we hit Tarpon Springs.  No idea what it will taste like but the name sold us.  They gift wrap any alcohol purchase you make.  The store also has a bright red antique glider in the middle of the store for shoppers to rest their weary bones!!!!


We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Apalachicola.  What a charming fishing village.  This place has more oyster bars then anyplace I have been to.  I am not an oyster fan.  When I was little, my father told me he would give me $0.50 if I would eat an oyster.  Scandanavians love oysters, I guess.   Anyway, I couldn’t get the slimy little thing down.  I got the $0.50 anyway.  I haven’t had one since.  If I were going to try them this would have been the spot as they were extremely fresh and everyone in the restaurants that ordered them raved about how good they were!  

We stayed at the Water Street Marina and Hotel.  It was all decorated for Christmas and so charming.  If you ever find yourself on the gulf coast of the panhandle, Apalachicola is a must stop!


Tomorrow we check the weather and if the stars are all aligned we cross the gulf! 

Stay tuned!  Pat


No comments:

Post a Comment