Monday, January 30, 2012

We found the cache!

Today we traveled 53 miles from Sarasota to Cabbage Key. Our run across Charlotte Harbor was a little rough to say the least. We had a 15 MPH wind on our port side, and traveled in 3’ beam seas. Reminded us of the ’50’s with all the rock and roll!  When we pulled in to Cabbage Key, I could not get into the slip! No matter how hard I tried, the boat just would not back down like it was supposed to. Finally Pat asked if I had shut off the auto pilot. DUHHHHH - the rudders were hard to port, trying to keep us on our heading to Fort Meyers. No wonder I was having trouble. The dock master took pity on me, and let me do a tie along. Made no difference, as we are the only ones here.


Pat will tell you more about Cabbage Key in another post, but I am going to tell you about finding the Cache! Cabbage Key is an island accessible only by boat. It has a bar / restaurant, and some guest cottages. Their water supply is provided by a water tower in the center of the island, fed from an artesian well. This is the last remaining water tower in the area. All the others have been destroyed by hurricanes. Everyone is invited to climb the 41 steps to the top for the view. Pretty impressive!
Of course,  Inspector Ken can’t stop inspecting! I had to check out how this thing functioned. First thing I noticed was a nice valve system at the base. 
And a very sturdy 4” pipe up to the reservoir. 
When we get to the top, I notice what appears to be some hurricane damage! Sure hope it holds up all that water above us!
I look up and see the main 4” pipe enter the bottom of the tank, but there is another smaller pipe in front of the beam. What is that for? I can’t see where it goes. The plywood blocks my view, and its too high to see above. So I use the old Inspector trick. The camera can see where you can’t!
Well, looks like the smaller pipe dead ends on top of the plywood with a shut off valve. Maybe a drain?? But what is that thing laying there??

I take it down, and it has five words stamped in it:
Hanna Montana, and Made In China. I suspect it is a guitar case for a Hanna Montana doll set.
I open it up, and find a roll of paper around a golf pencil. 






Turns out it is a Geo Cache! Geo Caching is the process of hiding an object, and posting a GPS coordinate on the internet giving an approximate location along with verbal clues. Then when people find it, they sign the enclosed papers, and put it back. Geo Caching has become a large recreational activity in the past few years. I looked into it, but have never done it. 







We signed the cache, and put it back in its home for the next geo catcher to find.
Guess you have to be an inquisitive inspector type to understand!!!

Captn Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment